Sunday, February 4, 2018

Statue of A Fool/Ain't Too Proud To Beg





Remembering the butterflies visiting the Mexican sunflower I had grown from seed!


Dear me, the time I take researching songs for you!  I "watched" a TV show with my Dad. (I call my Dad on the phone and he tells me to quickly switch on my TV so I can hear one of his favorite songs on one of the country music shows.)  The singer was Jack Greene, and the song was "Statue of A Fool".   Who wrote it, I wondered...turns out, the authorship is disputed.   Some say that David Ruffin (you will remember him as one of the lead singers of The Temptations") wrote it when he was only 17 or 18 years old!   Others say that it was written by Jan Crutchfield.  I do wonder if the true ownership will ever be proved.  Whoever wrote it, my Dad is correct, it IS a good song.

Sad to say that all of these men are no longer with us...David Ruffin, Jack Greene, Jan Crutchfield...but songs live on forever.
Just in case you don't remember the incredible voice of David Ruffin, I have a video of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" for you.
By the way, just this past week, we lost another one of the Temptations, Dennis Edwards...you would remember him singing lead on the song "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". 

So much music and so much to learn about the songwriters!


16 comments:

  1. It is so sad when you start counting up all the wonderful singers that we have lost- those that blessed us with their music. And now, Neil Diamond has Parkinson's (my dad had it)and it is a horrible way to go into one's older years. Just sad...Glen Campbell, John Denver--so many---

    I am thrilled your Dad calls you with things like that though- how special is that! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad loves music, I might have gotten that from him!

      Delete
  2. It is rough to see that so many of the singers and songwriters of my youth are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The songs bring back such wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I don't know either of those songs. But I DO know "Papa was a rolling stone" -- a real classic! I love your new header photo of that ultra-charming bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Victorian bench, it is in Eastbourne along the seafront, such a wonderful walk!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I do so love Motown!! Both excellent songs, thank you for reminding me of them.
    On the "Beg" video - the "boys" were so YOUNG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the MOTOWN sound also! Do you see the single with MOTOWN at the top? We had so many of those and we wore them out, singing and dancing to them!

      Delete
  6. We have lost a lot of great singers lately, but so true their songs live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Songwriters are fascinating to me, I never tire of learning about them.

      Delete
  7. Oh this brought back memories. I love that song. Songs aren't today like they were in the 60's and 70's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the old grey mare ain't what she used to be either! HA!

      Delete
  8. I'll be singing Ain't to Proud to Beg all day today. :)

    ReplyDelete